11.26.2013 / Blog Posts Health and Wellness Recipes
Kimberly Young, MA
Founder of Healthy Little Cooks and author of 5-Minute Lunchbox
Two of my family’s favorite treats are hot dogs and fresh baked pretzels, so combing them makes me a superhero. Before we had 4 kids, I’d go to the nearby Amish market to buy them, but at $4 a pretzel my habit became too expensive. So I searched for a healthier and cheaper way to keep my superhero status. Using Alton Brown’s Homemade Soft Pretzel Recipe as a base, I perfected the winning recipe. Enjoy!
8-10 hot dogs (I use sulfite-free turkey or veggie dogs)
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 package active dry yeast
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ounces margarine, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine warm water, sugar and sea salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes. To the bowl, add flour and butter. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Coat the ball of down in vegetable oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Sit it in a warm place for 55 minutes.
3. When the dough has been sitting for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a cookie pan with foil. Place the hotdogs on the pan and warm for 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from oven, slide foil and dog dogs off the pan and let them cool while you prepare the dough.
4. Line 2 half-sheet pans with foil and spray with non-stick oil and set aside. Then bring10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
5. In the meantime, lightly flour your counter and remove the dough from the oily bowl onto the counter. Break the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a long rectangle. Place the hot dog in the middle of the dough and wrap around hotdog. Be sure to close the dough thoroughly. Repeat this step for the remaining hot dogs.
6. Dip the pretzel hot dogs into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and place on oiled cookie sheet. Brush the top of each hot dog with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with salt.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and wrap in foil to store until ready to eat.
** Photography Disclaimer- All pictures are copyright of Healthy Little Cooks, LLC
Visit HealthyLittleCooks.com for more!
It's our turn.
Join the 131090 members
Join The Redskins Women’s Club
Refer a friend now
WOW is better with friends. So get yours to join. And share every Burgundy and Gold moment.
- Oct. 29, 2017
- Nov. 12, 2017
- Nov. 23, 2017
- Dec. 17, 2017
- Dec. 24, 2017
Oct. 7, 2017 04:00 PM WOW and WRCF Flywheel Charity Ride7
Oct. 13, 2017 06:00 PM 3rd Annual Washington Redskins Runway Show13
Oct. 15, 2017 11:00 AM 2017 WOW Ticket Giveaway Sweepstakes
Oct. 15, 2017 11:30 AM WOW Pregame Party | Redskins vs. 49ers15
Oct. 29, 2017 02:30 PM WOW Pregame Party | Redskins vs. Cowboys29