Redskins Comeback Falls Short Against Eagles

11.18.2013 / Blog Posts Redskins

Stephen Czarda,

For the second time in three seasons, the Washington Redskins were swept by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Redskins made it tight at the end, but the early 24-point hole was too much to overcome as they fell 24-16.

Offensively, the Redskins were led by running back Alfred Morris in the first half as the sophomore carried the pigskin 18 times for 85 yards. It was the most carries he’s recorded in any half through the first 26 regular season games of his career.

While Morris was churning yards and moving the chains, the passing game struggled to replicate the ground game’s success, gaining only 12 yards in the first half.

Whether it was quarterback Robert Griffin III being off-target or the receivers failing to create necessary separation, the aerial attack remained ground until the fourth quarter.

On the Redskins second drive of the fourth quarter, fullback Darrel Young secured a short pass to Griffin III’s left side, avoided two colliding Eagles and rumbled 62 yards to the house for the Redskins’ first touchdown of the day.

Electing to go for the two-point conversion attempt, Griffin III found a wide-open Nick Williams, making his NFL debut, to make it a 16-point game.

On the next drive, after an effective mix of run and pass through the first six plays got the Eagles off-balance, Griffin III found the speedy Aldrick Robinson in the middle of the end zone for the second touchdown of the day.

Once again deciding to go the two-point variety, Griffin III dropped back before flinging his body forward for a successful conversion.

The defense, which struggled with runners shedding tackles throughout the afternoon, had its most stout performance on the next Eagles drive.

Sniffing out Eagles quarterback Nick Foles’ designed keeper on the first drive and refusing to allow LeSean McCoy the opportunity to break free again, the defense locked down on 3rd-and-4. Not allowing the receivers openings, Foles was forced to resort to his legs for chain movement.

In a game of inches, cornerback Josh Wilson chained himself to Foles’ leg, refusing to let him get a first down that would have milked to clock down to the two-minute warking. Instead, he fell about 12 inches short of that mark. 

Getting the ball back with 3:26 remaining, the Redskins had time to orchestrate a possible game-tying drive.

Driving down to the Eagles’ 18-yard line, the Redskins had Philadelphia’s back against the wall.

On 3rd-and-1, the offense had enough time to either dink it off for another first down or hit a homerun.

Griffin III wanted the homerun.

Instead, the ball floated into the direction of two Eagles and the game ended with the Redskins’ comeback attempt falling short, a repetitive storyline this season.

The Redskins (3-7) return to FedExField one week from today to take on the San Fransisco 49ers (6-4) on Monday Night Football. The game will be nationally television on ESPN.

comments powered by Disqus

It's our turn.

Join the 134786 members

Refer a friend now

WOW is better with friends. So get yours to join. And share every Burgundy and Gold moment.

* required field

Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30