11.28.2012 / Blog Posts Health and Wellness
Becky Johnson, Certified Personal Trainer (ACE); IBNFC Certified Nutrition Coach
Don't just wear your favorite dress at your next holiday party - Rock it! That's right, the little black dress (LBD). It’s one fashion staple that never seems to go out of style. I know you have a party dress in the back of your closet just waiting to come out! Lose fat and develop lean muscle with a total body workout you can do at home when you have a few minutes to spare.
For each exercise, start out with one set of 12 repetitions and work your way up to three sets of 8-12 reps, 3-5 times per week.
1. Triangle Push-ups: Push-ups are a great exercise for toning your chest, shoulders and arms. If you are unable to complete a traditional push-up (lying on the floor face-down, on your toes), try starting on your knees. Make a triangle with your hands and keep your elbows close to your body.
2. Triceps Dips: Triceps dips are a great exercise for toning your arms. To complete a “dip” you will need a strong chair or bench. Sit on it and place your hands next to you on the edge of the chair with your fingers pointed forward. Then lift your behind off the chair and bend down toward the floor. Gently raise back up again.
3. Bicep Curls: Bicep curls work the front and back of your arms. To perform this exercise, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms at your sides with light dumbbells in hand. With your elbows at your side, lift the palms up towards the shoulder, pause, and slowly lower the weights back down to your sides.
4. Lateral & Frontal Raises: This exercise will help tone both the front and sides of your shoulders. Stand with your arms shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, hands at your sides. Slowly raise the weights out to your sides, with your palms facing down towards the floor. Pause, and slowly lower weights down towards the floor. Then, slowly raise your arms up in front of you, pause, and slowly lower them down towards the floor. (Repeat that set for 8-12 reps.)
5. Sprinter Pulls: Start in a lunge position with the right leg back. Jump and bring your right leg forward and lift your right knee up. All in one motion. Return to start position. Repeat on right leg for 8-12 res. Switch to the other side.
6. Dumbbell Squat with Rotation: Stand with feet hip-width apart holding one dumbbell with both hands in front of your body. Do not rest it against you. Squat and then as you come out of the squat, rotate your torso to the right. Continue for 8-12 reps then repeat on the other side.
7. Mountain Climbers: Assume a plank position. Make sure your hands stay under your shoulders. Slide or jump one foot at a time forward in towards your chest. 30 seconds.
Make sure to use dumbbells that are challenging for you. The last 3-4 reps should be hard. That's always a good rule to go by!
Get started now and wear that LBD with confidence!
Stay fit and Healthy,
Leave your fitness comments or questions below!
It's our turn.
Join the 124314 members
Join The Redskins Women’s Club
Refer a friend now
WOW is better with friends. So get yours to join. And share every Burgundy and Gold moment.
Jan. 1, 2017 12:30 PM Redskins Rally: Local
Jan. 1, 2017 02:00 PM Giants at Redskins Pregame Party1